Thursday, March 8, 2012

MSK: How much is enough?

They came to the podium one by one to share their stories of nights spent gasping for breath and days spent in a fog, with streaming eyes and pounding heads.

They are the staff of the Middle School of the Kennebunks, and on Monday, after a decade of suffering in near silence, they shared their very personal medical struggles before the RSU 21 Board of Directors.

"Sometimes I cough until I throw up for half the night," said teacher Sharon Greenglass, who was diagnosed with environmental asthma. "I'm very scared."
"My doctor said the building needs to be taken down," said guidance counselor Diane Binger, who said she suffers from acid reflux, dry eye syndrome, aching joints and inflammation. "Every time it rains it rains in guidance."

No story was more compelling than that of Tom Battles who, after eight years teaching at the school, was recently moved to Kennebunk High School because of his ongoing health issues, including lung disease. Battles recently returned to the school for a meeting, he said, and while his blood oxygen level was 97 percent when he went in, after an hour it had dropped to 86 percent.

"When I came to MSK I was healthy," Battles said, weeping. "I think I stayed too long."

No comments:

Post a Comment