Sunday, March 18, 2012

Bill Nemitz: Samaritan's voice touches victim – twice


Online reader comments don't always make for the best reading. Between the mangled facts and the tit-for-tat insults, it's often hard to get from the top of a comment string to the bottom before the eyes glaze over and it all dissolves into so much babble.

But then every once in a while, up pops something like this:
"i came up on a vehicle flipped over into a snow bank and a fence ... i could see through the windshield an older man who had been thrown from the drivers seat to the passengers seat and was wedged against the passenger window ... i assured him he would be ok and not to move, that the ambulance was on its way and i wasnt going to leave him until they got there ... i cant seem to get this mans face and voice out of my head, id never experienced something like this and can only pray they got him out ok."

Or, just beneath it, this:

"I was the man in that SUV. I wish I could say that I remembered you but I can't remember what happened from the time of the crash till I arrived at the hospital ... I am well on my way to recovering and I want to thank you so very much for being there for me."
Scroll back to two weeks ago today:

Jim Scanlon, 58, was en route around 7 a.m. from his home in Cape Porpoise to his job as a ground transportation dispatcher at the Portland International Jetport. Suddenly, his 2001 Kia Sportage hit a patch of ice on a sharp curve along Log Cabin Road in Arundel.

Jim remembers losing control of the vehicle -- but that's about it. By the time the SUV came to rest on its passenger side against a snowbank and a fence, he'd been knocked out cold.

Enter Ashley Caston, 24, of Arundel.

read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment