Friday, June 29, 2012

Graduation speech was challenging and appropriate


To the editor:

My name’s David Pepin, of Kennebunk’s class of 2011. First and foremost, congratulations, class of 2012. As for the graduation speech you endured? Ideologically, I’m a centrist. Politically, the only thing that irritates me more than a radical leftist is a radical rightist. I do not agree with every idea expressed in Sean Watson’s speech, but even more so, I am ashamed, albeit somewhat amused, by its recent backlash.

My first instinct is to label each person who cannot grasp the true essence of the speech as ignorant, and each person who calls for administrative action against Mr. Watson as arrogant. Unfortunately, I would then have to label myself a hypocrite, as that would be intolerant of intolerance and in clear violation of one of the speech’s playground rules.

read more...

1 comment: