Friday, September 9, 2011

Tel-u-gram for September 8

Walk to Cure Diabetes

Isabelle Levesque, a first grader here at Mildred L. Day School, just turned 6 years old this July. She has grown up to be such a strong, caring girl who can bring a smile to anyone's face.  Although bright and bubbly, Isabelle's personal struggle with diabetes is real and at times filled with lots of emotion and frustration.  Now that she is getting older, she realizes more than ever the burden and the demands that come with having diabetes.  With these personal demands come questions from Isabelle:

"Mommy, when do you think there will be a cure for diabetes?  When I am your age?"

"I wish I was free.  I wish I didn't have diabetes.  I wish I didn't have to think about it all of the time."

"I don't even remember my life as a little kid without diabetes.  I wish I knew what it was like not to have it."

"Maybe I was meant to have diabetes.  Maybe God made me this way so I could raise lots of money to find a cure and I could help other kids with diabetes."

Angie and Ken, Isabelle's parents write: With each question, with each statement, we stay positive for Isabelle. Diabetes is our reality and living with it has become woven into the fabric of our lives.  It still isn't easy and each year brings new challenges.  But for Isabelle, it's even more difficult.  She has to carry this burden with her until a cure is found.  This is what keeps us going, what keeps us fundraising and walking year after year.  With your help, Isabelle's wish will someday come true. Thank you for your dedication to helping us fight for a cure.

As a community we would like to help Isabelle and her family in raising money to find a cure.   You can help in a number of ways.   If you would like to send in a donation to Ken and Angie's team as they participate in the "Walk for the Cure" you may send it directly to the school office through your child's classroom teacher.  Please make checks payable to: JDRF or The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.  Additionally, if you would like to walk or make a donation on line you may go directly to their Website at: http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR/Walk-ME/Branch-NorthernNewEngland4366?px=1330135&pg=personal&fr_id=1545

Life brings with it all levels of challenges.  Those that affect our children can be especially devastating.  What a gift it would be if we could all band together to help bring an end to the challenge of Diabetes.  Please consider joining us on September 18th at Payson Park/Back Cove Portland as we walk to find a cure!  We will meet at 10:00am in Portland at Payson Park and the walk will start at 11:00am.

Please check the website for additional notices at http://www.rsu21.net/mldnotices.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment